Open Me When... a creative gift to help heal and be there for someone through long distances. A collection of letters to help with every situation. #boyfriend #gift #diy #craft #relationship #ldr http://danidearest.wordpress.com/ 24 letters. Helping heal through long distance.

This week my boyfriend and I get to celebrate our 2 year anniversary. Some quick background about us: We met in high school Freshman year, started talking our Sophmore year, and began going out the beginning on my Junior year. He skipped his Junior year and became a Senior at 15 years old. That year he graduated at 16 and left for college after the Summer. I miss him like crazy, but he loves it there, a lot. He’s not too far away, but far away enough to make it hard sometimes and to not be able to see me often enough.

While I was trying to decide on what to make for his anniversary present, a few months ago, I came across a post that talked about how letters are outdated and nobody uses them anymore. My first thought was “well, we have texting and other messaging now which means you can give an instant reply tailored for each situation as it happens. You can’t do that with letters.” Or can you? So, I did.ย

OpenMeWhen5What I did was I wrote him 1 letter for each emotion I could think of, in which he would wish that I was there with him. When he’s sad, when he can’t sleep, when he’s sick, when I can’t be there for something important, when he’s proud of himself, and so forth. I made fancy stationery on my computer (combining green, his favorite color – and purple, mine) and got to work.

I made 24 letters. For the 24 months we had spent together.

Then I found anย according folder organizer with 13 pockets in it, and envelopes small enough to fit 2 inside each of those pockets.

OpenMeWhen2I decorated each envelope with purple, green, and a strip of colorful washi tape on the bottom to make each one unique. I folded the paper (quite a bit..) to get it inside, and sealed the envelope with a piece of pink washi tape that I drew a red heart on, so it could be easily resealed to read again later. Washi tape was my best friend!

I then made tabs on the accordion folder, labeled with numbers. Followed byย a matching key on the back with which letters were under which numbers, so that he could easily find a specific letter without having to rake through all of them.

OpenMeWhen4The first letter, “start here” talked about all this. It was kind of his “card” to go with the present. It explained what it all represented and that I hoped it would make me not being able to be there f0r everything easier.

The last letter, well.. I won’t spoil that here (he reads my blog) but he’ll like it, I know him.

Last night was the Saturday before our actual 2 year, which is during the week. So we celebrated by grocery shopping, making dinner together, and watching Ratatouille. He brought me roses, a gift, and I had the time of my life just relaxing and being with him. When he was reading the first letter in my present he started to tear up, and I think that’s the sign of a mission accomplished ๐Ÿ™‚

SigLine

style=”display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px”
data-ad-client=”ca-pub-1976995468815997″
data-ad-slot=”3803488664″>

Open Me When…

20 thoughts on “Open Me When…

• September 28, 2014 at 4:33 pm

Thank you! Wow that teddy bear present sounds amazing ๐Ÿ™‚ thanks for sharing!

• September 28, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Absolutely lovely; What a creative, romantic and thoughtful young woman you are. I hope this young man understands and appreciates the jewel he has before him. This would make a beautiful short story, entitled the same, “Open me When.”

• September 28, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Thank you so much! I put a lot of work into it, and judging by his reaction when he opened it he loves and appreciates it ๐Ÿ™‚
      You’re right that would make a great story!

• September 28, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m glad you think so!

• September 29, 2014 at 3:00 pm

This is an amazing idea =) My fiance lives in London while I am in California, so I know the toll that a long distance relationship can take, but it sounds like you guys have it pretty figured out =) Maybe I will try this out some day…Wish you both the best!

• September 29, 2014 at 3:47 pm

You really must love each other dearly, it was a very endearing gift to have and I am sure it will last a long time and would not be dumped on by newer stuffs when its an e=mail or worst a text message … you gave communication a rev up meaning.
    Keep on lovin’ <3

• October 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm

What a wonderful, thoughtful gift! I agree with the previous commenters that you are a gem, and hope that you are appreciated. Not only sweet but so creative too!

• October 24, 2014 at 10:44 pm

This is such a cute and meaningful present that you’ll have for years to come. What a great idea!

• January 16, 2015 at 1:18 pm

This is so cute! Lucky for me, my two year mark with me and my boyfriend is coming up… ๐Ÿ™‚

But I am computer illiterate , so how do you make stationery…? Lol

• January 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi Ashley!

I just use Microsoft Word and typed the title on the top of the page in green and then a cute quirky subtitle underneath that in purple, centered both of them, and then wrote the letter in black underneath that heading!
      I kept the same pattern for every letter so that it tied them all together.

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚ I would love to see what you make for him! Congrats on 2 years!

Best,
      Dani
      Dani recently posted…Pits & Peaks: Week 11My Profile

• March 9, 2015 at 11:36 pm

This is such a cute idea! My boyfriend is moving to Australia in a few months so I’m hoping that we’ll get to do these for each other before he leaves!

• Pingback: Pits & Peaks: Week 16 »

• May 2, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Hey Dani! I am new to your blog and I am really excited for where your blog takes you! Its amazing. I wanted to do this for my boyfriend and I wanted to know which emotions you used?

• May 6, 2016 at 10:59 am

Hey Ana! Thank you so much, that means a lot ๐Ÿ™‚
      This was a long time ago so I can’t remember all of them, but some of the things I wrote were:
      Open when you miss me
      Open when you’re mad at me
      Open when you’re having a bad day
      Open when you’re feeling in love with me
      Open when we’ve had a fight
      Open when I can’t make it to something important to you
      Open when you feel alone
      Open when you’ve had a great day

Hope those help to give you some inspiration!

• June 21, 2016 at 5:41 pm

I need someone to talk to about guy problems and I have been looking for someone and I haven’t found anyone yet. But when you shared that I was wondering if you would be willing to talk to me. Please reply when you get a chance. Thank you for sharing that!!!!