OneNote is a great tool for organizing all your work, school, blog, to-do lists, spreadsheets, and so much more! Love it. #OneNote #Organize #College #Study
I distinctly remember when I was in middle school and my family bought a new computer. It was shiny, huge, and fast (for the time). I spent tons of time playing computer games, doing homework, and writing novels for fun on it. I remember that there was one program that came with the computer that caught my eye right away: OneNote. I used it a little bit, but at the time I had hardly anything to use it for, so I filed it away into the back of my mind and let it sit unused on the computer for years.

A couple of months ago I bought a computer of my own, my Toshiba Satellite laptop, and as I was starting it up I remember spotting the familiar OneNote icon in the list of programs. Immediately my memories of excitedly trying to find something to use it for back in middle school came rushing back. As I opened up the program I realized a ton of things that I could use this for, and I got to work. Now I use it for everything!

This program is often underrated, as I personally do not know anyone who uses it, but in my opinion it has become my favorite way to take notes and keep track of them in the most organized manner.

Here are my top reasons why OneNote is my favorite program for work, blogging, and school work:

1) Create Different Notebooks

NotebooksI have specific notebooks for my job, school, my blog, and another one which I just added for Her Campus (I’m in the process of applying to create a My Campus chapter at my university! )

These notebooks (which I can color code, yes!) serve almost as folders, which easily help separate content and keep it very organized.

2) Create Different Tabs

Tabs

As you can see above, these are the tabs that I have for my school notebook. I made one tab for each class, plus a tab to keep track of my schedule and things like housing assignment and mail box combination.

These tabs are kind of separate folders within the notebooks that help to further divide the notebooks into sections. There is an unlimited number of tabs that you can create which leads to an unlimited number of ways you can organize your things!

Under the tabs you further divide the content into pages, which there is no limit for the number or the length of.

3) Include an Excel Spreadsheet

School_Post_TrackingI have multiple classes in which I need to keep track of doing a specific number of repetitive things for my grade. Some of these things include posting responses to an online forum, logging hours in the scenery shop, or even just making sure I don’t skip over a certain number of classes.

I personally love using Excel to keep track of things so this is a feature I use all the time. By being able to embed an Excel spreadsheet into my OneNote I’m able to easily keep it all in one place alongside my other work.

4) Make To-Do Lists

BlogIdeasTabAs you can see in the picture on the left here, one of the things that I make To-Do lists for is my blog post ideas. When I have an idea for a blog post I toss it up under this page and once it is written I check it off!

This system helps me to keep track of which posts I’ve already written about, without having to search through my blog for duplicate content.

I also use to-do lists for things like school projects and assignments for work to keep track of what I’m doing.

5) Organize Notes with Headers

School_Headings

I take notes in class 2 different ways. One way is that I write them down, full with color coded pens and highlighters and everything. Another is that I use OneNote.

My main reason for not typing up my notes at first was that it was difficult for me to organize them easily and quickly. However, since I figured out this trick in OneNote, that changed. OneNote comes with pre-styled headings to easily organize your notes. These headings also have easy keyboard shortcuts to quickly change between them while typing, which comes in handy considering that I type just as quickly as my mind thinks.

Those are just some of the many reasons why I love to organize my work, school, and blog with OneNote! I highly recommend that everyone try out this tool to organize their life one step further. It really takes the stress off of me.

School_Page_EssayNotes

Want more organization tips for life and school? Check out my top tips for students here.

What do you use to organize your notes? Have you tried OneNote?

SigLine

My Desk: Organizing Work in OneNote

19 thoughts on “My Desk: Organizing Work in OneNote

• November 26, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Awesome post! saw it on the HCBN facebook page today and ive always been curious about one note. Now i think ill use it. I have it on my dell and had no clue it could do so many awesome things!
    throughbrighteyes.com

• Pingback: My Desk: Organizing Work in OneNote | Psych Stats Tutor

• Pingback: An end to November and NaBloPoMo | A Stitch to Scratch

• January 3, 2015 at 12:26 am

Thank you so much for these tips. I’m a senior in high school and not knowing how I’m going to organize myself in college is driving me nuts. Thank goodness for blogs like yours! This is putting me at ease.

• January 4, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Aww thank you so much! Glad you liked it. Hope to hear more from you 🙂

• February 2, 2015 at 12:33 am

I love onenote, its one of my fav apps, I use it to organize all of my university courses, but the sad thing is that most people I know never heard of it until I mentioned it, too bad because its one of the best apps to use to stay orgaized, I only use onenote, google calender and my study life apps to stay on top of everything in my life.
    l have just started reading your blog and I really like it, keep up the good work.

• May 31, 2015 at 8:18 am

I just finished reading that I was already downloading One Note to my computer, and I realised how useful it was for my next year in college. Thank you for sharing this tip.

• July 10, 2015 at 9:11 am

I loved this, I’ve heard how amazing OneNote is to use for note taking and I wasn’t sure how to organize it all. Thanks for the information.

• December 20, 2015 at 9:45 pm

I discovered OneNote only weeks into my first semester of grad school and can’t live without it!! I can attach documents and link my calendar and tasks … it syncs between my desktop and my tablet and my laptop. I am able to access my notes no matter where I am on.. even from my phone!! I don’t have to carry a heavy bag!! I <3 Technology!!

• January 11, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Yes OneNote is so great, I’m glad you share my love for it!

• December 21, 2015 at 6:24 am

Thank you!!! This helped me a lot!!

• May 21, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Thank you so much for this post. I’ve always seen OneNote on my computer and have opened it once or twice, but never really paid much attention to it. After reading this post I’ve decided to seriously try it out. Love your blog!!! You inspire me a lot

• August 1, 2016 at 9:07 am

I am a teacher and was just introduced to ONEnote in May. I am supposed to use it and have my students use it too. I was stressing out because I was not sure how it applied. Seeing your post has really brought this program to life. It is amazing that you can do what you do with it.

How did you learn to make it work for you. I have seen so many tutorials and I can’t seem to get my head around it: They tell us to set it up as our class page, to plan lessons for the students and to have it as their portfolio… my head is spinning.

Thanks for your great blog… you seem like a very organized person and I am sure you will excel in all you do.

This will be my first year teaching fifth grade.

• August 6, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Hi Lupe!
      I totally understand that using OneNote can be stressful at first, I was overwhelmed and had no idea how to use it for a couple of years. I’m glad that my post helped to get your gears turning and give you ideas! I’m sure that you will figure out a great way to make it work for you and your class.

I have considered writing a new, more in depth and updated, post about OneNote. Is this something that you would be interested in seeing on my site and reading? If so, let me know and I’ll write it!

• August 7, 2016 at 6:59 am